To schedule an appointment for chiropractic, please call 201-302-9993.
At Ishitani Health Center, we take great pride in providing the finest chiropractic care to each and every patient. Below you will find information about chiropractic care, various chiropractic and soft tissue techniques used by our doctors, as well as other services offered at our office.
The doctors here at Ishitani Health Center provide spinal correction and chiropractic adjustments utilizing gentle chiropractic techniques. Never in the history of chiropractic care have chiropractors been able to provide the level of help and expertise that is available today. Many of the newest chiropractic techniques are actually safer, more comfortable, and more effective than ever before. As chiropractors who care about utilizing the most advanced chiropractic and soft tissue techniques, Dr. Mika Ishitani and Dr. Jason Park have years of training, expertise, and experience in helping patients get pain relief for back pain, neck pain, headaches, and other related conditions originating from the spine. Chiropractic care can even be used to prevent injuries and help you achieve total health or wellness. Some of the symptoms that chiropractic can be used to treat include:
► Neck Pain
► Back Pain
► Headaches and Migraines
► Whiplash/Automobile Injuries
► Disc Problems
► Shoulder Pain
► Sports Injuries
► Hip, Knee, Elbow, & Wrist Pain
Dr. Mika and Dr. Jason are both graduates of Palmer College of Chiropractic, an esteemed institution and the first school of chiropractic in the world, and have mastered a spectrum of chiropractic techniques, known as the Palmer Package, that allows them to provide care for a wide range of conditions. The doctors are expertly trained for full manual manipulations of the entire spine, utilizing methods such as the diversified technique, Gonstead technique, Thompson technique, activator and impulse technique, and Sacro Occipital technique (SOT) in conjunction with various soft tissue techniques. The doctors here at Ishitani Health Center are equipped to provide safe, pain-free treatment for people of all ages, from pediatric to geriatric, and are dedicated to providing excellent chiropractic care to each and every patient.
Soft Tissue Techniques
- Graston Technique is a form of manual therapy that utilizes specialized stainless steel Graston tools to locate fibrous or scar tissue that may be restricting movement or causing pain. The tools are used to break up this tissue in order to eliminate pain, restore mobility, and restore normal function. This technique can be used to treat a wide range of conditions, including chronic, acute, and post-surgical conditions.
- Myofascial Release is a safe and effective hands-on technique in which the chiropractor applies gentle, sustained pressure into myofascial connective tissue restrictions that may have been created as a result of trauma, inflammatory responses, or surgical procedures. This technique helps to eliminate pain and restore motion and can be used to treat various conditions.
- Trigger Point Therapy involves applying pressure to myofascial trigger points, or "muscle knots," in order to relieve pain and restore function and range of motion. Trigger points are sensitive spots in the muscle that can cause pain in that area as well as in other parts of the body. Trigger points can result from repetitive overuse, poor posture, clenching when stressed, or prolonged inactivity.
- Active Release Technique is a technique in which the chiropractor applies precisely directed tension while patients make very specific movements. There are many specific moves that can be used to treat patients' various conditions. This technique can be used for a variety of conditions, including headaches, back pain, shin splints, carpal tunnel syndrome, knee problems, and tennis elbow, which are the result of overused muscles. These conditions often lead to pain and loss of range of motion and strength, which can be relieved using this technique. Countless athletes have been permanently treated using this technique.
For additional information on chiropractic and soft tissue techniques, please click here.
Pediatric Chiropractic Care
Chiropractic care is not limited to any age group. With today's advancements in the field, gentle chiropractic adjustments can also be applied to pediatric patients as young as newborn babies. In chiropractic philosophy, it is believed that strains and traumas begin as early as during the birth of the baby. The pressures and forces exerted onto the baby before and during birth cause spinal misalignments, or subluxations, that will continue to have an effect on the growth and development of the baby's spine and overall health of the nervous system if they go uncorrected. It is important that children continue to receive chiropractic care as they grow up, whether they have symptoms of pain or simply for wellness care to maintain a healthy spine.
Chiropractic care doesn't always begin when a child is just born – sometimes it starts with their pregnant mother. Chiropractors are also trained to make adjustments to prepare the spine and pelvis for childbirth. In the case of mothers with breech babies, in which the baby's position is head-up, chiropractic adjustments are also shown to be effective in correcting the positioning of the baby prior to birth. Known as the Webster technique, chiropractors make gentle adjustments to the mother's spine and pelvis to relieve pelvic subluxations and bring them back to a proper balanced state, restoring normal physiological function and allowing the baby to be born in the most optimal position.
Dr. Mika Ishitani is certified by the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association (ICPA) for pediatric chiropractic care and the Webster technique.
At Ishitani Health Center, we teach our patients how to perform special "blueprint" exercises that can help strengthen and correct the irregularities in the body which may be causing pain. Many of these corrective exercises can actually be performed in the comfort of your own home to help improve the effectiveness of your chiropractic care and spinal correction plan. In addition to skeletal misalignment, you may be experiencing pain that is caused by muscles and connective tissues that are out of their proper place. Other types of pain, including back pain, neck pain, and headaches, are caused by muscles and tissues that are being used improperly, causing injuries over time. In each case, targeted corrective exercises and stretches from our experienced chiropractors will help you feel good while also helping your body achieve balance and health.
Many of our patients come to see our chiropractors to address a specific pain symptom such as back pain, neck pain, or headaches. While our chiropractors will address each patient's specific condition with chiropractic care, we often find it helpful to "coach" our patients towards achieving a healthier lifestyle. For example, there may be certain activities that you should avoid or do differently to prevent yourself from unintentionally aggravating your particular health challenges. The goal of including lifestyle advice with a chiropractic care plan is to help each and every patient achieve the fulfilling and happy lifestyle they deserve, one that is full of the activities that are enjoyed most. We recognize that every single one of our patients is a whole person, and we use our expertise to help them reach total health and wellness.
Spinal & Postural Screenings
There is a saying that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Your spinal health is no exception. Posture and spinal screenings by trained and experienced chiropractors such as Dr. Mika Ishitani and Dr. Jason Park can help reveal important health information, unlocking the door to improved health and well-being. In order to help the Fort Lee community, we provide screenings at area malls, community events, health fairs and places of employment. Contact us today at 201-302-9993 to arrange a screening at your event or workplace.
Foot Levelers Custom Orthotics
Do you experience pain in your neck, low back, hips, or knees? The pain may be originating from imbalanced or asymmetric feet, even if your feet themselves do not hurt. Your feet form the foundation of your body, and when they are out of balance, it may be putting unnecessary stresses on your posture. If any of the following statements apply to you, then custom orthotics may be for you:
- I stand or walk on hard surfaces for more than 4 hours a day
- I participate in physical activities that put stress on my body
- I have had a prior injury to my knee/back/neck
- I have joint pain while standing, walking, or running
- I experience pain that makes me uncomfortable doing my daily activities
- I suffer pain as a result of either anatomical or functional leg length inequality (or "short leg")
At Ishitani Health Center, our Foot Levelers scanner will give us a three-dimensional view of your foot, allowing us to see the contours of your foot as well as areas where the most stress is placed on the feet. The scans of your feet can then be used to create custom orthotics made for your specific needs. Functional orthotics will help to stabilize your feet and posture and reduce unnecessary stress and strain on your joints.
Orthotics for Kids
Good posture starts young! One common problem that children may develop around the age of 5 or 6 is called pronation, where the feet flare outward and the foot bones shift their position, causing the body to become imbalanced. This can result in stress and pain in the knees, hips, pelvis, neck, and lower back. Using custom orthotics, your child's spine and pelvis will be supported and balanced, allowing your children to develop and maintain a healthier posture as they grow into adulthood.
If you have any questions about chiropractic or other services we offer, please call us at 201-302-9993!